Careers at Unity
Head of Operational Risk and Compliance
Based in Birmingham (Band 4)
Unity Trust Bank brings a fresh approach to banking. As a specialist bank for civil society, social enterprises, CICs, local councils, and trade unions, we support our customers with socially-responsible banking services. And because we’re a social enterprise too, we really understand the sectors our customers work in.
Since our formation in 1984, our vision has been to deliver a range of banking services that set us apart from mainstream banks. Today, that vision continues to become reality as we lead the way in the development of new initiatives which are changing the face of banking for the better.
Since we were established we have sought to put social change, social benefit and community involvement at the heart of what we do. In that time, we have created a sustainable, socially responsible business. We use some of our profits to re-invest in our business to help more organisations in the future. The remaining profits are returned to our shareholders who are part of UK civil society.
We now have an opportunity for an experienced operational risk & compliance specialist to join our Risk Team.
As a key member of our Risk team, you will be responsible for ensuring that the regulatory, operational and compliance requirements of the Bank are identified and appropriate procedures are in place to support the Bank’s risk framework as set out in the Bank’s policies. This role works across all functions to provide support to the management group, keeping them informed of relevant developments.
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
- Provide oversight of the compliance framework and chair the Bank’s Compliance Committee
- Manage the Bank’s risk register in line with agreed policies and risk appetite, reporting current status on a regular basis to the Chief Risk Officer
- Keep up to date with all relevant regulatory and compliance developments and provide management with regular updates
- Examine business processes and support functions to maintain adequate controls in order to provide assurance that compliance procedures and processes are being followed.
- Prepare risk reports on behalf of the Chief Risk Officer for delivery to the Bank’s internal Executive Risk Reporting Committee and Board
- Support the Bank’s training programme in respect of compliance related developments (eg AML, Fraud)
- Prepare periodic risk assessments on specific compliance activities as required
To be successful in this role you will share our passion for social responsibility and have the following experience and skills:
- Experience in a risk & compliance role within financial services
- Proven ability to influence and gain agreement to recommendations
- Proven time and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Communication & listening
- Solution focussed and results driven
- Problem solving
- Customer focus
If you are interested in applying for this position please send CV and covering letter stating your current basic salary and outlining why you think you are suitable for this role:
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or, Post to: Human Resources, Unity Trust Bank plc, Nine Brindleyplace, Birmingham, B1 2HB.
Closing date for applications: Tuesday 30th September 2014
Unity Trust Bank is committed to being an Equal Opportunities Employer.