Represented on the Board
- Communication Workers' Union
- National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers
- The Co-operative Bank plc
Other Trade Union Shareholders
- Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Fireman
- Association of Teachers and Lecturers
- Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union
- Educational Institute of Scotland
- Fire Brigades Union
- General Federation of Trade Unions
- Musicians' Union
- National Association of Colliery Overmen, Deputies and Shotfirers
- National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers
- Nautilus International
- National Union of Mineworkers
- National Union of Teachers
- Nationwide Group Staff Union
- Northern Ireland Public Service Alliance
- Prison Officers Association
- Public and Commercial Services Union
- The Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists
- Trades Union Congress
- Transport Salaried Staff's Association
Shareholders & Capital
Individual trades unions and trade union federations own 73.23% of the total equity capital of Unity Trust Bank plc (14.64% in 'A' shares and 58.59% in 'C' shares). The Co-operative Bank plc, through its subsidiary Co-operative Commercial Limited, owns 26.66% (14.64% in 'B' shares and 12.02% in 'C' shares).
Certain individuals between them own 0.11% of the equity capital, all in 'C' shares. Total equity capital at 31 December 2012 was £16,429,301.
The 'A' shares owned by trades unions and the 'B' shares owned by the Co-operative Bank plc have certain class rights attached to them concerning the election of directors and certain other matters referred to in the Articles of Association and relating to the control of the Bank.
Employee Shared Ownership Plan (ESOP)
In January 2013 the Bank established an Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP) enabling all qualifying staff to receive C Ordinary shares in the Bank. The initial distribution gifted to staff totalled 11,000 shares. Staff can also elect to receive further shares as part of the Bank’s annual Profit Sharing scheme.